Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ek Din ka Misfortune King

24 oct 08 was the day when i was supposed to leave Delhi for my long awaited Diwali vacations.Keeping things in my bag on daily basis as the big date was approaching so that i can avoid last minute packing hip haps... each time i see my bag i got a feeling that i am gonna have a good vacation.
Finally the day arrived and i left office at around 12:30 pm to reach railway station on time although New Delhi railway station is not so far from Noida but i kept an margin as i was very exicted and i was not in a mood to spoil this exictement.
1:30 pm i was standing at Metro station waiting for Metro to show up which goes towards New Delhi Metro station by runing on pair of rails 30 feet below the ground level.In the mean time i was looking at the advertisement which were fixed at underground station,while i was looking at the adds i came across a warning which mentioned to be aware of pick pocketers,i smiled at that warning and said to myself "i am smart enough".
Finally Metro train arrived and crowded platform become more crowded as people are jostling to get in the Metro.I got a leg space towards the other door to keep my both legs on the floor and heard some inside announcements which are used to run in a loop to keep inform travellers about pick pocketers and upcoming stations.
I was enjoying the standing ride in the Delhi Metro and hoping that may Mumbai also get an Metro so that people get a low fare air conditioned ride on Metros instead pushing each other to board local train and than stand in the mob which makes you suffocate if you are not on the door side of local train.My thought of Mumbai having a local train came to end when i heard an annoucement that Train is approaching NDLS (Rlwy code for New Delhi) and doors will open on right.I prepared myself to deboard the train by taking my bag on my shoulders.

OMG (Oh my god) came out of my mouth when i saw the mob at NDLS railway station.What happened today is every thing all right here, why there is so much mob today which is making paltforms to run out of leg space, these were the two back to back questions which i asked to a coolie who was looking towards me with a hope in his eyes that i may hire him to carry my luggage.Conversation between me and coolie

Coolie: Sir, its Diwali time and today is Friday which results in more days of vacations for every one.
Me: Oh yeah, i forgot today is Friday.
Coolie:Sir, may i carry your luggage.
Me: No thanx, i only have one bag,i will manage.
Coolie: Ok sir, no problem.

I know he was thinking that i will not hire him so there is no point of wasting time on me.I moved ahead from there thinking that "being an software engineer how the hell i forgot that today is Friday", the answerable and favourable part of my mind said "C'mon exictement is the only reason",instantly other part of mind said " this man is over exicted" i said "Shutup.....just shutup both of you and stop fighting......" i just had a quick look at the people around me to confirm that they had not heard what i just said.

Okay, enquiry counter was next to check the status of train,Paschim Express scheduled to arrive at right time on platform no 6.I got a smile on face and thanked to God that train is at right time.

Misfortune 1:-

I was taking stares to reach the paltform and suddenly i felt that my bag is pushing me,i felt like somebody is trying to take my bag but this was not true... a man was running over the stairs to catch his train which already started moving from the platform.Anyways i just escaped to fall on stairs,but when i looked at my bag it got torned from the point where straps are attached and my cloths are hanging out just like legs of kids on a seesaw.At this point of time i want to abuse that running man but he was out of my sight....

Misfortune 2:-

Taking my torned bag i started to move towards paltform and took one soft drink from the railway snacks counter and when i slipped my hand in pocket for the payment i felt nothing there, i got an hint that i got pick pocketed but i was not going to believe this.....i calmly put my bag down and started looking in other pockets of my jeans...vendor asked "what happened" i said nothing "i don't need that soft drink take it back"..... looked for a seat to put boms down and think what exactly happened very calmly so that i can recall if i had put my wallet somewhere else other than my pocket.
Soon i was googling my brain for the event of series that occured starting from my home to NDLS station.

Started from home --> hired auto-rickshaw to Metro station --> paid fare to auto-rickshaw driver --> this confirms that i had wallet uptill Metro station.

Took token from Metro station to NDLS Metro station -->paid fare again from the wallet.

Boarded metro --> deboared at Kashmiri gate--> change line2 from line1 --> boarded again for New delhi --> deboarded at NDLS Metro station. (Chances are may be i got pick pocketed in Metro).

Reached enquiry counter --> took stairs and pushed by a traveller running to catch his train (Chances are may be i got pick pocketed at stairs)

Rewinded all the picture of past 2 hours in my mind but the fact is i got pick pocketed..... i came across that warning at metro station where i smiled and said i am smart enough....and now all that smartness went.I started counting what all the things i have lost and what actions i have to take now, my money,my train ticket,my driving license,my credit cards,my ATM/debit card, 2 passport photographs of mine (who cares about 2 passport photographs but a loss is a loss) that's it.

Misfortune 3:-

I was aware about the fact that i will not be able to catch the train to my home as i lost my Internet ticket, i can take another print out but i don't have money for that and Internet ticket requires an identification proof which also went with my wallet.I realised that i should call to my bank for barding any transactions made from my credit and debit card.
When i slipped my hand in mobile holder which was at my belt i found it empty, "Holy shit" was the word which camed out of my mouth.My mobile too.....oh c'mon...i again googled all the events again in my mind but i come to know that in over exictement i forgot to pick my cell phone from my room as i kept it to get some charge..but this was not sure because i was also not able to ring my phone as i don't have a single penny....so not sure whether it also got pick pocketed...

Misfortune 4:-

I realised that there is no point in sitting at the platform as i will not be able to board the train, i started to move out of station and suddenly i felt somebody's hand on my shoulder, when i turned my face back Ticket checking officer was asking me for ticket as they do with passengers who were going out of the station.God.... now how will i explain to him that from what i have just gone through an how will he react after listening my story.

TC: where is the ticket?
me:Sir, i had ticket but i got pick pocketed.
TC: Oh, good one young man.
me: Sir, i am not lying.
TC: I know you have travelled without ticket, c'mon tell me from where are you coming
me: Sir, i camed here to board Paschim express but my tcket and all stuff got pick pocketed,trust me.
TC: I cannot trust you,c'mon pay the fine.
me: Sir, i don't have a single penny from where i will pay the fine, you can check me.
TC: Are you sure?
me: Sir, i am sure check me and you will not find anything from me.
TC: If got money from you than i will take whatever you have so keep this in mind
TC: Are you sure?
me: I am sure check me.

He checked me throughly,he didnt got anything.He checked my bag, he again didnt got anything... he said "Abe bilkul khaali ghoom raha he kya" i said " Sir, i told you" than he said "Chal side me khada reh,tere ko abhi dekhta hoon" as in the mean time he missed some more passengers may be who travelled without ticket.I was standing at side just a like fool watching passengers passing me,suddenly TC moves a lil bit and it seems like he don't have an eye on me...i just run out of there through the door....and once i was out he was unable to do anything...i dumped him here but i didn't have any other option.
I was thinking why this happens that when you have ticket than no body ask you anything,but when you don't have ticket you always face an TC.
Suddenly the whole world around me seems to be unknown,i felt dejected as i have not a single penny.That day i uderstood the true value of money.
"Now what i am gonna do,how i will reach back to Noida without having an single penny in my pocket, how will i inform at my home that i am not coming by this train as all this happened to me" all those thoughts were running in my mind after getting out of station and i was searching answers for those questions....i was wondering if there is a google search engine for realistic problems than i have searched all my queries on it and would have got the answers.....

My situation was like a begger or some con man which are always seen at Ndls station asking for money, moreover like a con man which have a travelling bag with him and keep asking people that "i got pick pocketed and i lost all money, i need to go some x place can you please help me" and in response to this people just tell him to go away....but they don't even think that what if that person is saying truth and really needs help..... but why they should think like that as i was also among those who tell him to go away every time i came across such men and women.... today this happened to me that's why i am thinking from their point of view, today i need help that's why i am saying that may be the person is genuine and really needs help.

The only thing which was running through ma mind was "do i need to beg people like a con man for some help, do they help me out or just tell me to go away".I was asking for myself "can i beg like this" but i need to do something at that time to get out of there.....
I thought may be a single phone call can help me out, lemme ask for help from a telephone booth for a single local call....as i took my step towards telephone booth i was not able to took second step... "to whom i am gonna call,my roommate, but what is his cell phone number" this was the question which stopped me....... this point of time i realised that technology has made us totally a handicapped.... i don't remember the fuckin number of my roommate....not even my roommate but any of my friend... what the hell..... i tried to recall any phone number which exists at some corner of my memory....."c'mon...gimme any number" i was saying to my mind and it gave me the cell phone number of my mom.....yes...
You know..... when you are in trouble only your near ones comes for help and at that time my mind helped me to change the idea to make a local call to STD call, yes my mind was suggesting me to make STD call to my home and tell them all this may be they can help me out.But i was asking my self how they will help me as they are 1250 miles away from here....i checked my watch it was showing 5:00 pm still official time....i got an idea.... without knowing operator at STD booth that i lost my money and don't have a single penny to pay his bill i called my home and briefed them all things and asked them to call at my office number with an extension of my roomy and instructed them to brief him all this so that he can come here and pick me up.....i also asked them to keep me ringing on the telephone number from which i am making this call for furthur information.

I got some relief that i will get picked up by my room mate, i got an confirmation call from my home on the same number and i asked them to reclaim the amount of my train ticket through internet as i was not able to board the train.Telephone operator was not able to understand what's going at his telephone booth and how come i was receiving calls at his booth.
I briefed him too and he don't have any other choice so he was also waiting for my roomy to arrive alongwith me so that he can get his bill,after all he is also working for his bread.

To pass time i start discussing the situation with him which i just had and was asking him what if an person who seems to be a con man is really in trouble, what we should do....should we give him the small financial help or just scold him to get away....one impressive answer that he told me changed my perception about such persons...he told me

"Sir, we don't know whether he is in trouble or faking,but we can do some help from the perspective of humanity, if they really need help than they will need to make a phone call just like you did here so we can help them to make phone calls, we can make them to have some tea/coffee or something to eat as they have no money and who knows from how long he has not eaten up but don't give big amount of money in case he or she is faking out than this action will inspire them to con more and more peoples."

I also realised this thing that we should not bully them and try to find out whether he/she really needs help or just faking out.I was so tired by all this and i was feeling sleepy, i wanted to catch some sleep as i was not overconsious about my luggage as bag was not having any thing expensive other than my clothes......suddenly i started hearing sound of my mobile.....i was aware that i was not having my cell phone with me and it must be some body else phone which was ringing so i continued and didnt opened my eyes...but it was continuously ringing as if it was waiting for me to pick up....i heard the voice of my roomy "c'mon get up you are getting late,c'mon get up from the bed" i got amazed that why he is saying like that infact he should say "Hi Ankit,lets go home".

I felt a kick on my bom and when i opened my eyes i was at my room,lying on my bed and my cell phone was ringing with Alarm tone..... i was not able to understand what's happening there....i just took up my phone,shut the alarm off and when i saw the date an time on it, it was 22-oct,8:00 am.....i took my head in my both hands and said "OMG that was a dream and still two days has to go for my journey"......when my roomy reappeared in room i thanked him...he asked "thanx for what" i said "for nothing...just wanted to thank you".
That dream taught me some thing about over smartness and a way to handle con mans.... or i should say a man who lost his money and need help.I realised that what kind of misfortunes and at what level a person can have in a day.

Who says life teaches the lesson.....i think some times dreams also teaches you.

No comments:

Post a Comment